It all began in 1919. Eugene Cornwell, a skilled blacksmith, opened shop in an old tannery building along the Cuyahoga river in Cuyahoga Falls, OH where he began hammering out tools on his anvil. He mastered the production of chisels, pry bars, punches and screwdrivers while gaining a reputation as a high-quality toolmaker. When Eugene started experimenting with various steels and heat treatments to produce more rugged, longer-lasting tools, word spread throughout the region. And Cornwell Quality Tools was born.
Early success was enjoyed as the demand for high-quality tools grew with the emerging automobile, aviation and mobile marine industries. This allowed the company to expand operations and move to a larger building in Mogadore, OH in 1927.
Eugene Cornwell was a pioneer in the manufacture of hand tools for the servicing, repair, and assembly of automobiles in those early days. It’s a testament to his ingenuity that today we continue to manufacture and sell the same high-quality products he forged back in 1919. Our products are sold via mobile tool dealers across the country.
Currently headquartered in Wadsworth, Ohio, Cornwell Quality Tools is a family and employee-owned company. Cornwell is committed to the pride that accompanies the sale of quality materials, and Cornwell continues to produce the finest tools in the world – those that have truly been “The Choice of Professionals®” since 1919.
Founded by blacksmith Eugene Cornwell. Opened shop in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.
Stepped up manufacturing efforts with hand tool products for the emerging automotive industry; followed by products for the aviation and motor marine industries.
1920: Cornwell employees in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
1925: Advertisement in the February issue of Popular Mechanics
1926: Cornwell first started producing chrome-molybdenum forged sockets
1926: Cornwell’s first product catalog - 32 pages
1927: Moved to Mogadore, OH to expand manufacturing production facilities
1930: Mogadore, OH - Bradley hammer
1932: Hydraulic Brake Wrench - cost $1.30 and featured 15 and 60 degree heads
1935: Cornwell product catalog - 48 pages
New ownership - Kemmerline family purchased Cornwell.
Expansion of the Mogadore, OH manufacturing facility.
1940: Distributor meeting
1948: Cornwell Product Catalog - 112 pages
New ownership - Moeller and Gordon families purchased Cornwell.
Ironman logo was introduced.
1951: 1st female Cornwell dealer started
1953: Cornwell Railroad Service Tools Catalog
1958: Mogadore, OH - ratchet machine
1959: Cornwell recruiting advertisement
Introduction of private branded line of tool boxes and impact tools; special purpose tools for new markets for Ford, GM and Chrysler. Sustained growth and emerging markets opened east of the Mississippi. Entered into racing sponsorships with Johnny Rutherford and Walt Alfons.
1965: Raymond H.C. Moeller bought sole ownership of Cornwell
1968: The Choice of Professionals® tag line was first used
1968: Pivotal date in Cornwell history – began selling product direct to mobile dealers. We would not be here today if this transition did not happen
In the early 70’s Cornwell opened Wadsworth, OH corporate office and warehouse.
Cornwell experienced major growth - both employees and distributors.
Introduced new tools to the market.
1978: Raymond M. Moeller takes over after Raymond H.C. Moeller passed away
1979: Albion, PA forging facility opened; Mogadore, OH became solely manufacturing and finishing operations plant
Management philosophy: Deliver via trucks to customers - “If we are to survive and prosper, our Independent Dealers must first survive and prosper.”
Broad product line expanded.
1983-84: MM1 started
1989: Wadsworth, OH headquarters doubled in size
1995: Introduced a new opening design for sockets and box wrenches, TDS (Torque Dispersing System), as the demand for high-torque fasteners increased
1997: Started selling Kennedy® manufactured tool boxes
1998: Began franchising
1999: 80th Anniversary Cornwell Product Catalog - 328 pages
1999: Cornwell Tech-Credit department was created
Ironman Business Network (IBN) started.
2004: Cornwell opened Utah warehouse
2005: 85th Anniversary Cornwell Product Catalog - 328 pages
2007: Expansion of Wadsworth, OH corporate office
2012: Cornwell began sponsoring GearZ® TV and Stacey David
2014: 95th Anniversary Cornwell Product Catalog - 416 pages
2016: Cornwell acquired tool storage manufacturer Kennedy® Manufacturing
Company in Van Wert, OH
2017: Opened a 107,000 square foot, state-of-the-art warehouse in Wadsworth, OH
Cornwell’s 100th year anniversary
Entered in racing partnership to sponsor John Force® Racing with the NHRA
SR-71 Rapid Tool Express - 1959 Ford Panel Truck retrofitted
Platinum™ Series tool boxes in full production
Introduced a new lighting line called blueION™
100th Anniversay Cornwell Product Catalog - The largest catalog ever produced, coming in at 640 pages